Tuesday 27 November 2007

The Spy Who Loved Him

Below is my latest film review, Paul Verhoeven's Black Book. Enjoy!

I think I could probably count the number of foreign films I've seen out of my own choice on one hand. I am also not exactly the hugest fan of Paul Verhoeven. But there was so much hype surrounding this film that I just had to see it.

I'm glad I did. This film brings back to memory the classic war spy films of the 40s, 50s and 60s, where brave men and women risked their lives against the Nazis for freedom. But the fact that it is based on real events creates a very sinister atmosphere to it, none more so than during the final third of the film, where history once again shoves a bitter blow to the face of "peace lovers" by showing what happened to those poor men and women who fell in love with Nazi soldiers or sympathised with them.

There are some excellent performances here, but although he seems to have come back with a bang, I just can't stick Verhoeven. It is now obvious after more than 20 years of his films where his interests lie - blonde women and violence. Just look at Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct, Denise Richards in Starship Troopers, even Elizabeth Berkley in Showgirls - and now Carice van Houten. If this is the way in which Verhoeven is to become an auteur, I suppose you could argue that he is a sub-par Hitchcock, but then I shudder at the comparison.

It's a shame, because this is a great movie, with plenty of twists and good historical background. You genuinely feel for Rachel/Ellis as life keeps dealing her with bitter blows. In the same instance, however, it does leave quite a few questions open and there are some parts of the plot which are left unexplained. Ultimately, the theme is of violence once again - with the ending shot a rather pessimistic view of the rest of the 20th century.

7/10

The next film review will be of Perfume.

Laters.

No comments: