Thursday 15 November 2007

Food Glorious Food

As avid readers (if any) of my blog will be aware, I am a big fan of food. I have very little that I will not eat, though I am sure that I haven't exactly eaten everything that there is to be eaten which, if you were being really strict about it, would probably contain items such as kangaroo's anuses and human beings.

I am also a huge fan of chocolate. In fact I would be bold enough to say that chocolate is the third mot important thing in my life, after God and my family. Last night, whilst walking back from a friend's house, I could not help but quickly dive into the University's open washing room to buy a Dairy Milk from the vending machine. It cost me 60p, which I'm sure is a bit more expensive than in a local shop.

Food can be expensive, but food can also be dirt cheap. I find that buying my vegetables and fruit loose costs me less money than buying them in bagged form. I try to get the cheapest mince and bread. I am often found diving into the cheese section and spending at least five minutes looking through every small block of cheddar to find which one is the cheapest. My record for this little activity so far has been 91p.

But there's expensive and then there's silly money. In today's Times (and I seem to be quoting a lot from this particular paper recently) I read a small article which went like this:

"A white 750g (26oz) Italian Alba truffle that sold for a record £102,000 at a charity auction will be served at a private dinner in Hong Kong on Sunday."

Now I'm not an idiot; I know that truffles, particularly rare ones, are expensive. And there's nothing wrong obviously with the money going to charity. But perhaps there's something in this anyway. The fact that someone would pay such a vast amount of money for a piece of food makes my wallet weep.

Last night I had Pasta Bolognaise (hope that's spealt right!) with mince costing 76p, pasta which in a huge bag cost £1, chopped tomatoes 15p, tomato puree 30p, plus onion, garlic, carrots and mushrooms which together would only probably have cost a pound. That 's £3.21p all together, and I was stuffed afterwards. So you can take your rare truffle and your private dinner. Everyone is welcome to mine for Bolognaise. Though not tonight, as I have to go shopping.

Laters.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I could probably feed all 4 of us with spaghetti bolonaise for that price! And have done on many occasions.