Saturday 12 May 2007

It's Eurovision Time Again! Bring On The Wogan!

Yes, it's that time of year where we listen to Terry Wogan drunkenly insult practically every country, every song, every costume...and don't we just love it? For me it's usually the only reason I watch The Eurovision Song Contest. If it wasn't for Wogan I just wouldn't be able to watch it. I know I'm able to watch rubbish generally on television, but Eurovision is such rubbish that it needs the drunken, less-than-subtle tones of Sir Terry to bring it out of the dog mess and wipe it down and make it a proper programme.

Looking at the television listings it seems to me that all the other terrestrial channels just can't compete with Wogan. So they just put something on that the audience who won't watch Eurovision will at least have something to watch. Either that or they don't watch anything at all. Listen to some music, read a book, go to the cinema or theatre - get some culture!

Although, Eurovision itself is a culture on its own. Its developed into its own personal genre that seems to satisfy almost everyone. there are some people who even watch Eurovision for the songs - hard to believe I know, although I must say my absolute favourite Eurovision song is last year's winner, Lordi's "Hard Rock Hallelujah!" The only other reason I shall be watching Eurovison tonight - probably - is to see a repeat performance of this song. Not only that, but, as it's being held in Helsinki this year, just imagine the home crowd reception. Fantastic! Bring on the plastic bottle of Baileys for Sir Terry, and pour one for yourself. You're gonna need at least a glass or two of the stuff.

Laters.

No comments: