Monday 28 May 2007

Eyes Of A Critic

This morning I caught up with the reviews of my favourite film critic, Mark Kermode. He was speaking his mind quite vividly on the third Pirates Of The Caribbean movie - basically, he hated it more than Homer Simpson hates a meal that doesn't contain any trace of meat. Now I as an amateur film critic, occasionally here but mostly on the glory of glories that is the IMDb website, know as well as the next man that a critic's view is his/hers and his/hers alone. Just because Kermode hates (and when I say hates, I mean he really, really hates) this trilogy of films, doesn't mean everyone else will. So for fun, and just because I can't really think of anything else to moan about today other than the weather down here in Winchester- erm, it's rubbish - here are a selection of reviews from the IMDb reviews page of the third POTC film, At World's End:

"I must say I was not convinced by this one" - Paul Gunnerman, Netherlands

"What an absolute relief it is to say that At World's End is not only a great successor to the past two Pirates movie, but also a movie that I might eventually be able to consider the best in the series!" - Simon Parker, UK
"I really like it very much - although someone may think it's too long, I say - you won't need to check the time because what's going on on the screen will keep you interested until the end." - sanuka, Russian Federation
"If not for Depp, and his always entertaining and fascinating character, and the lovely Keira Knightley this movie would be wholely miss-able. " - sportsguru19, USA
There you have it, ladies and gents. That old adage once again comes right to the forefront - everyone's a critic. Ignore everything people say to you and go and see it yourselves , make up your own minds whether its any good or not. Myself? I cannot wait to see it - I love the Pirates movies. Sorry, Dr Kermode.
Laters.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

You will see it, Mel is waiting for you to come home so that I can take you both. She could have seen it Friday of half term but to chose to wait for you. What sisterly love! And you know how she feels about Johnny Depp, although I think David Tennant is slightly nudging ahead at the moment!