Wednesday 26 September 2007

Tunes In My Pocket

I thought I'd use today's blog to sing my praise about my generic mp3 player. Why? Because the battery ran out today as I was walking to Uni, and it was a very quiet walk because of this.

If anything my mp3 player is perfect technology for me: it's small and fits easily into my back pocket; although it doesn't have the street snazz of an IPod, it is far less complicated (I feel) to operate; and I can easily change the tracklistings on it any time I want. Being picky I like to put the songs in a certain order, so I'll admit that this takes up more time to do - but that's my fault and not my generic mp3 player's.

What's interesting is that I vividly remember the last song I heard on my little blue music box: it was "Learning To Breathe" by Nerina Pallot, an artist I have often recommended to my friends, who unfortunately does not exactly have the large selling numbers she totally deserves. this song in particular is a jolly, optimistic little number, quite fitting to hear just as you cross the road and enter the property of Winchester University. Unlike "Everybody's Gone To War", her most famous song, sadly 'popped' up by her record company with a heavier drum beat than I feel is needed, it sounds fresher and, let's face it, less commercial. In my opinion this makes it excellent music to listen to for a student - or a stereotypical student at least.

What is even spookier though is that my generic mp3 player seems to read my mind and play songs that befit my mood at the time. For example, the other day I was walking back after a long, tiring day of working in the library on the too-depressing-enough-already FYP project, and I really felt like I needed a slow, quiet song: hey presto, the next song played is "Pyramid Song", a beautiful, haunting number by Radiohead. How we survived without these little beauties I'll never know.

Laters.

No comments: