Thursday 31 January 2008

News Worthy?

Ah, Derek Conway, Derek Conway, Derek Conway - what have you got yourself into?

Seriously, what have you got yourself into, 'cos I've got no bloody idea. Donated money to your son, or something, I get that, and I get that whatever you did was very naughty, but I just don't get why or what exactly it was that made you the laughing stock of the Conservative party.

Talking with a friend yesterday lunchtime we somehow strayed into the land of politics briefly. Having looked after a group of Year 11 schoolchildren visiting the University the previous day, she told me that a couple of them figured the voting age should go down to 16. This idea, though nice to hear, is completely ridiculous.

That's not to say that 16 year olds have no interest in politics. There are plenty of young groups of budding politicians out there, I'm fully aware of that. The problem is, especially in our country at the moment, politics seems to revolve around the economy. I think its got more to do with Gordon "Iron Man/Mr Bean" Brown and his previous job, which is understandable considering he was in the position of chancellor for ten years. But all this buisness with Northern Rock and Conway and Loans and what not - I can see that it's important, usually because it takes up half the bloody time on a news show anyway. But I just don't understand why they are important. And if I don't understand, chances are a lot of 16 year olds will have no clue, so how are they going to determine who to vote for?

Me thinks that there are possibly more important news stories out there. Take this one for example: A gang of Swedish criminals in Stockholm were seconds away from completing a digital bank robbery when the plug was pulled on them - literally. An elert employee pulled out the cable when he saw his computor making the transaction.

Now that's both news worthy and hilarious. Why can't politics be more like that?

Laters.

No comments: