Wednesday 9 January 2008

Why "Pumpkin"? I Prefer Tomato..

In my first year here at the University of Winchester, I listened to a lot of radio in my spare time, as I didn't have a television in my halls. I listened to a wide variety of stuff - from contemporary music via BBC Radio 1 to the more serious spoken stuff on BBC Radio 4 to the radio stations you can access via the wonderful world wide web.

Over the last two years, though I don't listen to as much radio as I used to, I still regard it as one of the best forms of entertainment ever. Most of the time I catch up with any programmes I enjoy via their websites, and listen to the radio stations I can get on my generic Mp3 player on my way to and from the main campus.

But occasionally I get annoyed at radio, and it's not radio's fault, but it's just pure chance this week so far that every time I switch the radio on within five to ten minutes I'm listening to Kate Nash's new song, "Pumpkin Soup". Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good song, and I loved the way she performed it at last year's Hootenanny, which you can see by clicking this link right here. But it's just a little annoying when I keep hearing it every time I'm walking to and from University which only takes me about fifteen minutes max, which therefore means I don't have that much time for a lot of songs. I want to hear something I haven't already heard.

I know I'm pretty much nit picking, and I also know that the radio stations have to abide by their play lists. Some people will probably tell me just to switch from radio to the saved songs on my generic mp3 player when this happens, but the music's not the only reason why I listen to radio. I like the witty banter, the comments texted or emailed in by other listeners, some of whom I usually agree with. But most of all, in a world where television and, more increasingly, the Internet is King of Entertainment, I listen to radio because, like an old warrior, it seems invincible. It will never die! And I salute radio for this!

Laters.

No comments: