Wednesday 17 October 2007

Can't Get It Out Of My Head

One of perhaps the most brilliant and yet most annoying aspects of music is when you hear a piece - be it a song, a movement in a symphony, even a television theme - that, however good it is or you think it is, embeds itself in your brain like a maggot burrowing into an apple.

Okay, that might have been a little extreme, but that's how it feels sometimes, especially when you feel negatively towards the invading tune. Thankfully, I don't often have this problem in negative terms, but maybe that's because I'm really not that picky on what I listen to. This does mean, however, that sometimes a tune that I feel is really good becomes very annoying very quickly because it settles itself into my head.

The latest unfortunate victim of this rather universal condition is a rather funky tune by a new kid on the block, David Jordan. "Place In My Heart" has a good beat, a bass line and rhythm reminiscent of Jamiroquai and a singer who can be compared to Mika, Prince, even an early Michael Jackson. It even has some rather interesting lyrics, not that I can actually find any site with them on at the moment (if anyone has them, please e-mail them to me!)

And yet, this song is so good, so memorable (for me, anyway) that it is very difficult for me to forget it. Even writing this is just asking for trouble, because now it's there even more than it usually would be. Usually it's at the back of your mind, like background music. Now it's right there, banging in my ears, even while I'm listening to Saturday Review, something completely different!

But should I be complaining? Shouldn't I just be glad that I can hear music, that music exists in my life? It would certainly be incredibly boring without it. I'll leave it up to you guys to make your own decisions.

Laters.

No comments: