Thursday 10 April 2008

Trouble Ahead

Three things have come to my attention fairly recently which no doubt spell an uneasy future for the next couple of years. Two of these things most of you will be aware of. The third...eh...not so much.

The first of these is obviously the growing crisis in Zimbabwe, which, lets be honest, has been "growing" for a fair few decades now. I always knew that Mugabe would never go without a fight, and though he may have lost the elections, he can always pretend to have been asleep over that week and woken up none the wiser to the results, meaning I don't care, I'm still in power and I've got these nice men in uniforms and holding a variety of deadly arsenal to back me up. It's going to end in horrible bloodshed - sorry to be morbid, but I believe this could be the turning point where simple protesting goes too far. The opposition will try for a peaceful solution, but they're not going to get it. It's a sad, pathetic example of how power so easily corrupts, and how equally as easy it is to use violence to get what we want. Could we condone the bloodshed if it meant the end of Mugabe? Of course we could, but it would throw up a large number of interesting, though perhaps nervous, debates on morals and beliefs.

The second trouble maker in our ranks is the Beijing Olympics. Now that Gordon Brown has put his clunking iron fist down on the table and said he will not be attending the opening ceremony, others will follow. Brown insists he will attend the closing ceremony and it has nothing to do with the continuing saga of protests against the situation in Tibet which has made the Torch Relay such a shambles. Yeah, right. Someone tried to grab it off ex-Blue Peter presenter Konnie Huq here in Blighty on Sunday - Konnie Huq! That I'm not impressed with. Couldn't they have tried to grab it off of someone more important, someone to do with sport? How about Sir Steve Redgrave or Dame Kelly Holmes or Little Theo Walcott? (He's not that Little, I just wanted to give him a title...The-o, The-o!) Will we get this in 2012 in London, with Commonwealth countries protesting against their "imprisonment"? Will Canadians or Australians be trying to grab the torch off of a wheel chaired Sir Steve, a walker-assisted Dame Kelly, or Lord Walcott? Actually, that might be fairly amusing.

The third and last thing that spells trouble, and the lightest of the three, is the decision by Roger Wright, the new head of the BBC Proms Season, to have a Doctor Who Concert in this year's season. On my signal, unleash hell. Purists will no doubt argue that the Proms have gone too far, bowing to the demands of popular culture in an attempt to be with it and street like with the kids, innit. Personally? Yay! Doctor Who Music! Bring it on!

Laters.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

hello struggling writer. A friend challenged me to write a story last night in one sitting, and for some reason it prompted me to think of your blog this morning. I think I visited it last year. I hope your writing is going well.

So the friend issued me a challenge to write a story in one sitting titled "Vernon was not an old man". I thought it would be interesting to challenge you to do the same. However since mine was very short, I will stipulate it needs to be no longer than one typed page. Let me know if you are keen!

I too have been watching the olympic torch debacle. I commented to my husband this morning that no one will boycott the games because everyone is too scared of China. NZ for example just signed a free trade agreement with them. Will be interesting to see what happens.

: )