Friday 10 October 2008

Fore!

So I thought I'd spend a little time telling you all about my new job working as a barman in my local golf club. I've been there for almost two weeks now, and, honestly? It ain't that bad!

Sure the shifts are long, and sure most of the time (as I'm restricted to working a lot of weekdays) the most people I serve is perhaps a dozen golfers, and sure I spend the majority of the time on my feet. But I think what I love about the job is that it is completely and utterly different it is to anything I've ever done before in my life.

When I left University with a 2:1 the option was there to stay on and do a Masters in English Studies anywhere I wanted. And the idea still appeals to me. But I never had a gap year before going to Winchester, so I've been in education since I was 5. And to be honest, I've had enough for now. Seriously, any more information/knowledge in this brain and it was liable to explode! So I wanted to do something for a while that was so far removed from English or education that I wouldn't need to worry about the danger of being on the news for having the first self-destructing cranium in history.

The people are lovely, too. My "trainer" is a professional dancer who is just finishing a show in Convent Garden, and although I didn't get to bed until 1:40 am on Sunday morning due to having to work a wedding reception on the Saturday evening, it was still great fun! See, I read that back and I seem somewhat insane, ha! But I honestly enjoyed it all, and still do. Plus, with my days off I can concentrate on my writing - at least, that's the idea. I haven't done any so far today, although I suppose this blog counts for something?

Laters.

No comments: