Wednesday 28 February 2007

I Predict Success!

So over here in Blighty the Kaiser Chiefs have scored their first Number One with their song "Ruby". Upon hearing it, I was ecstatic. having heard samples of other songs that will be on the Kaiser's long awaited second album, Yours Truly, Angry Mob, I think we've got a real winner here.

Mind you, I am incredibly biased. Their first album, Employment, was what I like to call a "Dido album". This means that, just like Dido's first album, No Angel, there was not a song on it which I did not like, and it is a very rare occurrence when this happens, particularly for me as I'm such a picky listener. So there was obviously a lot of anticipation towards this second album, often referred to as the "difficult" one.

I have been let down before, not least by the aforementioned Dido. Life For Rent has its moments, but it just doesn't fill me with the sense of inner peace and wonder that No Angel does. Hopefully her third album will be a bit more to my taste.
What the Kaiser Chiefs seem to have done, however, is started to get a bit darker and rebellious in some of their songs. Sure there was some sinister undertones to songs such as "I Predict A Riot", "I was Born To Be A Dancer"and such, but the title track of this second album culminates with a rather chilling chant:
"We are the Angry Mob,
We read the papers every day,
We like who we like, we hate who we hate,
But we're also easily swayed."
I admit it doesn't look particularly chilling, but under a strong drumbeat and bass line it truly has an awesome effect on the hairs on your neck.
I don't think the Kaiser Chiefs are going to have a problem with this second album, despite the fuss of the "difficult" status attached to it. Reviews, though somewhat mixed, have only gone down as far as three stars. Possible reasons are that bands such as Arctic Monkeys, who have truly pushed the idea of "city music" to the next level, have done just that. But the Chiefs recorded every song in Leeds - hell, they even wrote every song in Leeds. I'm looking forward to this album immensely, and will be back in probably a few months time to give my actual verdict.
By the way, I'd like to point out that I'm rather proud of the fact that, despite the label of Music Wednesday I have not once mentioned Britney Spears. Until now. Damn.
Laters.

No comments: